Vigil held for woman who died after falling 10 storeys at Regina hotel

January 10, 2017 - 9:53pm Updated: March 27, 2017 - 6:47am
Pictures of Nadine Machiskinic at a vigil on the two year anniversary of her death.
Jessika Gus /980 CJME
Pictures of Nadine Machiskinic at a vigil on the two year anniversary of her death.

Family and friends gathered in Regina's Coronation Park neighbourhood to remember the woman who died after plunging down a 10 storey laundry chute in the Delta hotel.

The incident happened on Jan. 10, 2015. Nadine Machiskinic, 29, would be rushed to a Regina hospital and later pronounced dead.

Tuesday evening, a crowd of over 30 people filled the gymnasium at the Gathering Place to mark the two year anniversary of her death. In the crowd was Machiskinic's sister Delores Stevenson who is still searching for answers.

"I want to see that our sisters, daughters, nieces are able to feel safe."

Those in attendance shared their memories amongst one another and also shared frustration with how the Regina Police Service (RPS) handled the case.

Stevenson claimed they have not been recently updated by the RPS.

"It's been very, very frustrating. The whole two year process of waiting for answers, waiting for responses, and really just trying to get some closure in her whole investigation and her case."

Family members are hoping to get more answers about the way the investigation was handled to begin with.

Stevenson added she personally wants to see accountability from the justice system.

"I know that the coroner's office has been revising and making changes to their system so I'm hoping that, that we'll see some improvement from the RPS and the way they handle investigations."

Stevenson hopes that an inquest scheduled for close to the end of March will bring awareness to missing and murdered indigenous women and for the family to have their questions answered.

In June, 2016, Saskatchewan's coroner ruled Machiskinic's death was accidental. The coroner ruled Machiskinic suffered blunt force trauma to the head after dropping 10 storeys, and she was also intoxicated at the time.