Skip to Content

General

Bomb threat shutters stores at Midtown Plaza

A bomb threat made to security at Saskatoon's Midtown Plaza Wednesday forced stores to close early, and brought out the police explosive disposal unit.

Police said at around 6:30 p.m., someone approached a Midtown security officer, and said the mall would be "blown up" in a few minutes. Security then relayed the message to Saskatoon police.

Employees gathered at a muster point on Idylwyld Drive and 20th Street while police searched for a suspicious package. One mall employee said this was only the second bomb threat made at Midtown in the last 15 years.

Administration stops Regina firefighters from covering co-worker's shifts

When Tanner Brotzel was diagnosed with cancer in December, his fellow firefighters rallied to his side and started volunteering to fill his shifts, but now Regina Fire and Protective Services is forcing them to stop.

Brian Seidlik is the president of the Regina Professional Fire Fighters Association. He joined Jill Slater and Dave Arnold on News Talk Radio's Mainstreet to discuss the situation Wednesday afternoon.

Bare facts about Sask. topless laws

Three Ontario sisters are preparing to bare it all this weekend in a topless rally as they fight to bring awareness to the right of women to go shirtless in the province.

But would they have the same right to go topless in Saskatchewan? Maybe.

U of S awarded $37M for crop research

With $37 million coming from Ottawa, the University of Saskatchewan (U of S) looks to build a one-stop shop for famers looking for ways to improve their crop and ensure global food security.

Announced on Wednesday, the federal government granted five Canadian universities $350 million for crop and plant-breeding research. Of the $350 million, the U of S is slated to receive $37.2 million over seven years.

'Don't bring your diet' to the Queen City Ex

Lobster-wrapped corn dogs, maple bacon noodles, and glazed grilled cheese donuts are just a taste of a mouth-watering snacks you can find at the Queen City Ex this year.

"Don't bring your diet with you down here. If you're going to come down to the fair we encourage everyone to come down and absolutely go nuts," said Josh Shaw, manager of major events and entertainment at Evraz Place.

New to the Ex this year is the Crazy Cone, which does its best to stay on the healthy side.

Escaped inmate had one month left before release

Lawrence Sewap is back behind bars.

Prince Albert Police confirmed Tuesday evening that Sewap had been arrested early Tuesday afternoon without incident.  He is however facing an additional charge of possession of weapon with the purpose to commit harm. 

Sewap made his first court appearance Wednesday morning. The proceedings have been adjourned to Thursday morning, to allow Sewap time to find a lawyer.

Sewap went missing Sunday afternoon from the minimum security unit at Saskatchewan Penitentiary, formerly known as Riverbend Institution.

New Moose Jaw community mailbox key opens more than 1

There are new problems with the roll out of the new Canada Post community mail boxes.  

In at least one instance in Moose Jaw, the key given out for a mailbox in the new community boxes can open more than just one.

Garry Blanchard found out when he was checking on the key he received.

Sask. farmer wishes rain fell sooner

As rain pours over Saskatchewan, some crop farmers say it’s a little too late.

In Shellbrook, about 130 kilometers north of Saskatoon, Kerry Peterson runs a 6,000 acre operation. He said the 30-degree heat along with gusting winds thinned out what he planted this year.

UPDATE: Rain cancels Queen City Ex parade Tuesday

Despite organizers saying the parade would march on, rain or shine, the Queen City Ex has been cancelled Tuesday night.

The parade would have kicked off the event 7 p.m. on Tuesday before the gates officially open Wednesday at noon.

The decision was made around 4:30 p.m. The organizers said it was due to winds topping 65 kilometres per hour.

Sask. MP sues House over residency expenses

An outgoing Saskatchewan Member of Parliament has filed papers to the Federal Court accusing Ottawa of rejecting three years’ worth of travel allowances.

Syndicate content