Study says food more important than exercise for weightloss
Researchers who studied a Tanzanian tribe of hunter-gatherers were surprised to find that people in the west burn just as many calories as the Tanzanians.
That prompted Neil Tkatchuk, a certified personal trainer and owner of Trench Fitness, to claim the western approach to weight loss is wrong.
"The Media has driven us to believe that the key to solving the obesity epidemic and weight loss is to get more physically active, but definitely more so the nutritionist approach and not so much just eating less, but eating the right types of foods and proportions," he said.
He adds that staying away from processed foods can have a big effect on your body.
And staying healthy isn't just about hitting the gym.
"Definitely I'm not discrediting physical activity, I think that's a part of it as well, but it is a smaller part of it than people think," said Tkatchuk.
Tkatchuck suggests physical activity accounts for about 30% and nutrition accounts for the other 70% when it comes to weight loss; though, these numbers change based on individual factors.
Edited by CJME's David Fraser