The 15-year-old boy, who cannot be named because of his age, is charged with aggravated assault after the events of April 15. That's when it is alleged he used a knife to stab four people at random. He was arrested on scene by two downtown police officers who ordered the boy to drop the knife.
The teen has been in custody since the attacks and appeared by video link at Youth Court in Regina on Tuesday. He stood quietly, staring ahead and showed no emotion. The appearance took only a few minutes; the judge approved a request for a psychological assessment.
Three of the stabbing victims were treated at the downtown mall with a fourth taken to hospital. The 47-year-old man's sister spoke to News Talk Radio following the attacks, talking about the family's fear of retaliation if the attack was gang related. RPS has said there is no evidence to believe that it was. As of last week, the Regina Police Service (RPS) said it had no information on the motive of the attacks; the suspect did not know any of the victims.
A report on the results of the psychological assessment is expected to be finished by June 17. The accused will appear in court in person on that date.